PhD Conservation Biology
2013 – 2020 University of Antwerp
Master in Biodiversity: Conservation and Restoration
2010 – 2012 University of Antwerp (great distinction)
Bachelor in Biology
2007 – 2010 (French) Namur University, Belgium (great distinction).
January – June 2010: Erasmus (English) at the biology department of the Cardiff University, Wales, United Kingdom as part of my bachelor program.
Communication associate & affiliate scientist
December 2020 – December 2021: Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund International at the Nkuba Conservation Area (DR Congo)
August 2019 – November 2019: Elaboration of the Living Planet Report Belgium at the Policy department of WWF Belgium (Brussels).
January 2018 – January 2019: Global conservation planning analysis at the Zoological Society of London (UK).
April – August 2013: Volunteering position as field assistant in the Donghzai National Nature Reserve, China for a project studying the nest dismantling behavior of the hair-crested drongo (Dicrurus hottentotus) with Lv Lei, joint PhD student of the Beijing Normal University and University of Groningen.
As a student, I have worked since I am legally allowed (15 years old in Belgium) in the sandwich shop and the cafe owned by my mother. I have also worked in various events as a waitress. Additionnally, I worked one month per year, during the summer holidays, as an employee in a local shop. I particularly enjoy the contact with customers.
Schleicher, J., Zaehringer, J.G., Fastré, C. et al. (2019). Protecting half of the planet could directly affect over one billion people. Nat. Sustain. 2, 1094–1096. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41893-019-0423-y
Fastré, C., Possingham, H.P., Strubbe, D. et al. (2020). Identifying trade-offs between biodiversity conservation and ecosystem services delivery for land-use decisions. Sci. Rep. 10, 7971. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-64668-z
Fastré, C., Strubbe, D., Balderrama, et al. (2020). Bird species richness in High-Andean forest fragments: habitat quality and topography matter. Belgian Journal of Zoology 150: 95-133. https://doi.org/10.26496/bjz.2020.76
Fastré, C., van Zeist, W., Watson, J.E.M. and Visconti, P (2021). Integrated spatial planning for biodiversity conservation and food production. One Earth 4 (11) 1635-1644. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oneear.2021.10.014
PhD – Systematic conservation planning in the high Andes of Bolivia, application of modeling tools for integrative management of natural areas
- November 2016 – March 2017: Internship at the Possingham lab (Faculty of Science of the University of Queensland, Australia).
- September – December 2014 and 2015: Fieldwork in the Tunari National Park, Bolivia.
- Supervision of 2 Master students.
- Teaching assistance in zoology practicals and tropical field class.
- PhD thesis.
- Organiser of symposium “From Ecology to Conservation” 9th March 2020.
- Talks and posters at several international conferences (see below).
- PhD funded by the Research Foundation – Flanders.
- European Conference on Conservation Biology 2018, Jyvaskyla, Finland. Oral and poster presentations:‘Pathways to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals’.
- International Conference on Conservation Biology 2017, Cartagena, Colombia. Oral presentation:‘Identifying priorities and trade-offs when protecting biodiversity and ecosystem services in the High Andes of Bolivia’.
- International Conference on Conservation Biology 2015, Montpellier, France. Poster presentation: ‘Systematic conservation planning in the high Andes: a case-study in the Tunari National Park, Bolivia’.
- Access 2010 (2013, UAntwerpen)
- Career management workshop ‘Unlocking your potential’ (2015, UAntwerpen)
- Graphics in R (2015, FLAMES, UHasselt)
- Ergonomy (2016, UAntwerpen)
- Clear, accurate, concise writing (2017, Principiae, KU Leuven)
- Developing essential grant and funding skills for conservation (2017, ICCB, Cartagena)
- Project management for Wildlife Conservation (2018, Wildteam UK)
- Fire extinguisher course (2018, UAntwerpen)
- Microsoft office: Experienced user with Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Familiar with Access.
- ArcGIS: Experienced user.
- Marxan and Marxan with zones: Experienced user.
- R: Experienced user.
- WordPress: Good knowledge.
- French: Mother tongue
- English: Fluent in writing, reading, and speaking
- Dutch: Diploma level C1
- Spanish: Diploma level B2
Traveling, nature, hiking, blogging, and reading: I have been lucky enough to travel to many places in the world both for work and leisure. I have particularly enjoyed staying for long periods in Bolivia, Australia and England for my work, where I have made many friends and learned about the local culture. I have also accompanied my partner for an internship in the USA for 3 months, during which I worked on my thesis. When traveling for work, I spend all my free time exploring nature. I am a keen bird- and mammal-watcher but I love anything about nature, really. Hiking is our favourite way explore the wilderness. I have been the keenest reader in as long as I can remember. I find reading is for me another way to discover other places and cultures.